The Spec MX-5 Challenge regular season starts in about 3 weeks at Virginia International Raceway, with the eastern region kickoff. That will be followed by the start of the central region regular season with events at NCM Motorsports Park and Circuit of The Americas. The series has announced that $65,000 of prize money will be available at each 2-race event weekend:
- 1st place in each race: $1,000 cash
- 2nd place in each race: $500 cash
- 3rd place in each race: $250 cash
- Hard Charger in each race: $500 in Winding Road Racing credits
- Spirit of Spec MX-5 award at each event: $1,000 in Winding Road Racing credits
- Best Social Media award at each event: $1,000 in Winding Road Racing credits
The ten regular season events will lead to a combined championship event at Road Atlanta where the top prize is a $100,000 scholarship to advance on Mazda’s road racing ladder. Also up for grabs at Road Atlanta will be an invitation to the Mazda Road To 24 Shootout, which has a similar $100,000 prize. So, two people will exit the championship weekend very happy.
In all, $265,000 in prizes are available to Spec MX-5 Challenge competitors. With a full arrive & drive season cost of $45k, many drivers have said the series is a strong value. If you are interested in competing in the series, either full or partial season, officials tell us that there are a few seats left. Contact the central region: [email protected] or the eastern region: [email protected].