Driver costs for a season of Spec MX-5 racing will vary according to geography, number of races, level of support and on-track damage. However, here is some data collected from multiple drivers:
• A new car build, done by a professional shop, will cost $55-60k if built to front-of-the-pack standards and with the options typically required by top-flight racers
• The full parts list to build a basic new car is about $35k. This is with no labor, just donor car and required parts. Most drivers will add some parts, such as advanced video, cool shirt, extra wheels, Li-ion battery, graphics etc.
• Labor hours for a professional build by experienced mechanics is about 120 hours, with some variation for donor condition and parts selected
• Used cars ready to run are available for $35-45k depending on features
• A race weekend budget would include:
- $1250 for tires
- $500 entry fee with SCCA or NASA
- $200 Spec MX-5 Challenge points registration
- $300 test day fee
- $250 fuel and fluids
- $75 for pads
- Mechanical failure
- Crash damage
Some of the above may be minimal cost or high cost depending on each driver’s desires.