AUSTIN, TX. (March 27, 2018) – Five Central Region drivers split $7,000 in payouts during the Spec MX-5 Challenge race weekend March 23-25 at NCM Motorsports Park, in Bowling Green, KY. This event is the first step for these drivers toward the $100,000 year-end championship prize for the combined East and Central Spec MX-5 Challenge Series.
Support for these prizes is provided by Yokohama Tire, Mazda, Pagid Racing and WindingRoadRacing.com. These partners also provide important technical support to the series.
The Spec MX-5 Challenge is an arrive-and-drive series, in which drivers run in identically prepared NC-generation Mazda MX-5s. The series pays out cash for the top three finishers per race, and prizes from WindingRoadRacing.com for Hard Charger and a pair of weekend specialty awards.
The prizes from Rounds One and Two of the East Series at NCM went to:
- Matt Million: The first weekend regional points leader earned $1500 in cash for a win and second-place finish. Million was the Hard Charger in Race 1 at NCM and also with captured the Best Social Media Award for the weekend earning a total of $1500 in WindingRoadRacing.com credits.
- Tom Martin III: Martin earned $1250 for a win and a third-place finish.
- Noah Grey: The pole sitter in Race 1 scored $500 in cash for Saturday’s second place finish.
- Clayton Cavell: A last lap move into third place in Race 2 earned $250 in cash and secured a WindingRoadRacing.com Hard Charger Award of $500.
- Harry Voigt: Voigt received a $500 WindingRoadRacing.com Hard Charger Award for his moves in Race 2. Voigt was also selected for the “Spirit of Spec MX-5” Award, earning an additional $1000 in credits from WindingRoadRacing.com. Voigt showed tenacity and positivity all weekend long, working with Central Region driving coach Scott Adams of NASA TX to improve his lap times.
The Central Region of the Spec MX-5 Challenge returns to action again at Circuit of The Americas, May 4-6. The East Region is on track the following week at VIR.