Spec MX-5 Challenge offers a $100,000 top prize, and more, for a reasonably priced racing series. So we, naturally, think it makes sense that we’ve had a positive reaction. It has been almost three weeks since the Spec MX-5 Challenge began accepting applications for the 20 seats originally open for 2018, and as of mid-January, the series has received 18 applications.
The series has begun selecting drivers. Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2018, and the series intends to keep at least a few seats open until then so that a high quality, diverse field can be assembled. As a result, there is still time to apply if you are interested. It may make sense to move quickly, given these criteria for selecting drivers:
1) Time of application. The most qualified drivers will be selected before the deadline.
2) Strong competition, but no “ringers” or FIA ranked pros.
3) Reputation for being a clean and fair racer.
4) Upon selection, drivers will sign a full season contract. We will also keep a waiting list should any drivers fail to sign the contract and provide the initial payment.
5) Drivers must have funding in place and meet payment deadlines, including an initial payment upon selection.
Spec MX-5 Challenge offers a new rung on the pro ladder system, positioned between Spec Miata and Global MX-5 Cup, with $100k in winnings going to the champion. Costing $45,000 for the season, with full arrive & drive service, including a race car, Spec MX-5 Challenge is a cost-effective series focused on driver development. If you are interested in becoming a Spec MX-5 Challenge driver for the 2018 season, fill out the easy application form here. Deadline is January 31st. For additional information, start with our FAQ.